What You May Need to Know About an Interim Family Violence Order

Emotions are often very high when two people decide to separate and go their own ways. The separation may have been due to ongoing disputes, and, as sometimes happens, tempers may have become elevated, which can make the situation become very challenging. In this case, tempers can sometimes get out of control, and this may lead to violence. If you're afraid that you may be on the receiving end, what can you do?

First Things First

If you have already suffered some violence at the hands of your "ex," get in touch with the police for assistance. Don't put yourself at risk, but try to create some physical separation between you as soon as possible.

Court Application

You can also apply to the family court for an interim family violence order, also known as an FVO. This is the approach to take if there is an imminent risk to your safety or your personal property, and there may not be enough time for the courts to consider a full application.

It may be difficult to discuss separation with your former partner during volatile times like this, and you may even be afraid to relocate elsewhere. You may not feel that it is safe to try and leave without having an interim FVO in place.

Applying for the Order

Thankfully, it's relatively easy to apply for this order, and you may be able to do this online without telling your former partner what you're doing. However, you must be ready to give evidence to the court as soon as you make the application and find out if the court can do this electronically or in person.

Stating Your Case

When you discuss your application with the court officer, you will need to go into detail and swear that everything you say is the truth. They will want to know the full story to determine if they can grant this order right away, and while you may want certain conditions to apply, it's up to the court to agree on the counts. However, if they do issue an interim order, it will be delivered to the respondent by the police and will immediately come into force.

Getting Advice First

Remember that this type of order may place certain obligations on you, and you may be prohibited from engaging in certain types of behaviour. Therefore, you should be very clear about what you're doing despite the urgency of the matter. Call a local family law solicitor first so that they can guide you going forward.